Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Working the Double Shift

Today's theme for lunch appeared to be Christianity. I saw three women actually pray in the dining room (ending by making the sign of the cross), and overheard a man discussing the second coming of Jesus. I do little to hide the fact that Christianity and organized religion in general absolutely terrify me, and I can only wonder if any of my guests saw my eyes widen and bulge and my jaw drop at these occurrences.

The theme for dinner? ANGER. Well, no, not quite, but for some reason every server (including myself) had something awful happen to them today and was not in the mood to take care of others. Oddly enough, being in a terrible mood makes me a much better server. Being cheerful and attentive to my tables when I'm in a good mood is taxing because it detracts from my good mood. Acting cheerful and attentive because I'd rather be drinking in bed means I'm trying much harder than usual.

But at the end of the day, after I've formulated countless calculated last words designed to emotionally cripple my foes with the full fury of my vengeance, the only thing I can bring myself to say is:

"I understand."

And I think I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment